These granola bars are trail approved. Chewy, with a bit of crunch. Satisfying and not too sweet. They give you energy and are delicious. They are simple to make, with inexpensive ingredients and easy to adapt and change to suit your taste.
Recipe by my wonderful wife Trixy.
So, what are you waiting for?
Make your own granola bars for your most delicious trail snack, for your kids’ lunches, and for weekday breaks at the office. The mountains are calling and you need a good snack on the trail.
2 cups of oats
1 cup of puffed barley
1 cup of puffed millet
Or you can use
2 cups Rice Krispies
SEEDS TO YOUR LIKING
1/4 cup of sunflower seeds
1/4 cup of pumpkin seed
1/2 cup of peanut butter
1/2 cup of almond butter
1/4 cup of honey
1/4 cup of molasses
1/4 cup of brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1/4 teaspoon of vanilla
SPRINKLED ON TOP AND PRESSED IN
TO PUT IT ALL TOGETHER (not really ‘cooking instructions’):
1. Mix all your dry ingredients in a bowl, including the seeds.
2. In a saucepan warm up wet ingredients, don’t bring them to boil. You just want to soften them so they mix easily.
3. Pour warm, wet mixtures into dry ingredients.
4. Line a 8×8 baking pan, or any dish of similar size with baking paper and pour the mixture into pan.
5. Press granola mixture into even shape, top with chocolate ships and other goodies and press them slightly into the mixture.
6. Let cool in fridge.
7. Cut into desired chunks and wrap into individual papers.
8. Enjoy on your next hike and thank me later.
Printable recipe card you ask? Well of course, have at it!