Hoping to backpack in the majesty of Yellowstone National Park in 2022?
You can now get your permits online. Starting on March 1st, 2022, those interested in camping in the wilds of this wonderland can start reserving a site far from the hustle and bustle near the park’s roads. The following is a press release from Yellowstone National Park and gives all the information you’ll need to get started on your Yellowstone backcountry adventure:
Beginning spring 2022, visitors will be able to make advance online reservations for backcountry permits at Recreation.gov.
- Early Access Lottery. The Early Access Lottery application period will go live on Recreation.gov March 1, 2022, and will end March 20, 2022. This lottery is based on a fair and randomized process to provide an equal opportunity for each applicant to be selected. If selected, successful lottery applicants will be assigned a date and time to book their proposed reservation online during the Early Access Period from April 1 through April 24. Participants are limited to a single reservation during the Early Access Period but may create additional reservations beginning April 26.
- General Permits. On April 26, remaining permits for open campsites will be available on Recreation.gov.
- Walk-up Permits. These permits will be available on a first-come, first-served basis up to 48 hours in advance. Walk-up Permits cannot be reserved online in advance or through the Recreation.gov Call Center.
Backcountry Permit Fees
- There will be a $10 application fee for the Early Access Lottery. This fee is charged for all applications to the lottery regardless of success. Successful applicants will pay a $5 per-person, per-night permit fee.
- For General Permits and Walk-up Permits, the cost will be $5 per person, per night plus a $10 reservation fee.
- The Yellowstone Annual Backcountry Pass will be available through Recreation.gov for $50. The pass exempts the individual pass holder from the $5 per-person, per-night permit fee.